A quick question: When was the last time you called for expert technicians for AC servicing?
You might be thinking why this question when summer hasn’t hit yet? Well, summer is right around the corner and so are the heavy electricity bills which is a nightmare for many of us.
During hot weather, power consumption rises due to the increased use of household appliances such as refrigerators, ceiling fans, table fans, coolers, and air conditioners.
But one appliance that is extensively used during the summer months is the air conditioner and it can burn a hole in your wallet if not used efficiently.
Now you might be thinking that the air conditioner you bought a few years ago came with a three-star guarantee. And hence, it won’t result in massive bills.
Unfortunately, the truth is far from it!
It’s true that modern air conditioners use less energy compared to older models, but they can still take up a large percentage of your monthly utility bills budget.
We can’t let that happen, can we? So, worry not!
In this blog, we will share with you 6 effective tips that can help you reduce your AC electricity bill during summer.
How to Reduce your AC’s Electricity consumption in Summer?
Since temperatures are rising year after year, air conditioning units have become a necessity in most households. However, running your AC continuously for prolonged periods can lead to high electricity bills.
Hence, we’ve put up a list of 6 air conditioner energy-saving tips to keep your house cool without draining your bank account:
1. Improving your home’s insulation reduces energy consumption
2. Keeping AC at an ideal temperature saves big on electricity bills
3. Cleaning or replacing the air filters of your AC periodically
4. Using a ceiling fan along with AC reduces energy consumption
5. Installing AC appropriately at the right place reduces your electricity bills
1. Can improving your home’s insulation reduce energy consumption?
Yes, it is possible. But if your air conditioner’s outdoor unit is set up in a location where it is under direct sunlight for a prolonged time period, it can get heated up quickly and result in decreased efficiency.
So what should you do to improve your home’s insulation?
- You should place your AC’s external unit in a location where it won’t get exposed to direct sunlight for a long time.
- You must ensure that the room where the air conditioner is installed has fewer doors and windows. It is because through those windows sunlight can enter, making the room warmer. This will lead your air conditioner to work harder and less efficiently as a result of the increased operational load.
- Additionally, make sure the room’s doors and windows are shut properly. If not, the outside hot air will mix with the cool air inside the room. This is another reason that can make your AC work harder, raising your energy bills.
2. What is the ideal AC temperature to save energy?
Many assume that adjusting the AC’s temperature to a low setting will result in better cooling. That is not the case, though.
The Bureau of Energy Efficiency (BEE) states that the ideal temperature for us is 24 degrees. Hence, compared to the lowest temperature setting, any AC set at 24 degrees or more will take less load and consume less energy.
This means that if you adjust your AC’s temperature to the optimal setting, you will save more electricity and increase the lifespan of your AC too.
3. Is it necessary to clean or replace the air filter of your AC periodically?
When was the last time you cleaned or replaced your air conditioner filter?
The majority of us overlook the need for appliance maintenance, despite the fact that it is essential for extending the life span and increasing operational efficiency.
When a filter is clogged with dust and debris, it creates an obstruction in the airflow, causing the compressor to work harder to circulate cool, fresh air. This increases the amount of electricity consumed by your air conditioner.
Therefore, it is recommended that you clean your air conditioner’s filters at least once every month or twice during Summers and replace it periodically if the colling time still does not improve.
This will prevent dust particles from entering the room, ensure proper ventilation, optimize air flow rate, and result in decreased power consumption.
4. Can using a ceiling fan along with AC reduce energy consumption?
Ceiling fans consume very little power compared to ACs. When they are combined with the ACs, they produce a breeze effect. And because of the breeze effect, using an AC and a ceiling fan together can help save on electricity.
Using a ceiling fan can effectively help distribute cool air throughout your room, decreasing the requirement for your air conditioner to function harder.
Note: To prevent unnecessary energy usage, turn off the fan before leaving the room.
5. Can incorrect AC installation increase your electricity bills?
As a matter of fact, yes. When your AC unit is installed incorrectly or in the wrong place, it will have to work harder, which can decrease its efficiency and longevity and, ultimately, raise your monthly electricity bill.
Always hire a trained and experienced technician to install your equipment. If you hire a local mechanic to do the job, they probably won’t execute the task professionally.
In the worst-case scenario, the incorrect installation will void your company’s warranty. Therefore, correctly installing your AC in the right place is one of the easiest AC energy saving tips that can help you to save money on utility bills.
6. Why is it important to periodically service and maintain your air conditioner?
Air conditioners should be serviced on a regular basis to ensure that they work efficiently and do not consume too much energy.
A refrigerant leak, a malfunctioning compressor, or a low refrigerant level can increase your air conditioner’s power usage and reduce its cooling ability. Hence, to increase the efficiency of your AC, have it serviced at least twice a year.
If you use your air conditioner heavily during the summer months, getting it checked a month before the season begins is a smart option. And once after the summers are coming to an end since ACs will not be that active after that.
Therefore, having your air conditioner serviced and examined by professionals from a reliable appliance servicing company is imperative. It will help you find any issues that might be causing it to consume more energy than is necessary and resolve them before it’s too late.
Meet OneAssist – the highest rated AC care expert
OneAssist is a reputed appliance servicing brand that offers quick repair and service plans for a range of household appliances, including AC servicing.
The AC service and repair plan not only provides protection against equipment malfunctions and breakdowns but can also clean your AC to make it work efficiently that can help reduce your electricity bill.
As mentioned before, periodically servicing your AC will minimize the chances of potential problems and consume less energy to perform better. Here are our offerings:
- Book an appointment with us for only ₹499 if your AC stops working efficiently or needs a much-due servicing.
- You can cancel anytime prior to two hours of the fixed servicing time.
- We offer you a money-back guarantee if your appliance is not serviced or repaired as needed.
- We also provide a 30-day guarantee on repairs and new equipment parts installed (if any).
- We care for your safety more than anything, and hence, our expert AC technicians (trained in hygiene practices provided by WHO guidelines) use masks and gloves and also sanitize your appliances after providing the service.
- Our technicians also ensure that you are safe and away from any hazards.
Now you can say goodbye to summer woes with OneAssist’s reliable solution and reduce your electricity bills to a great extent.
Additionally, if you are ready for a big change and want to get a new AC that can further help reduce your bills then we’ve come up with a list of split AC models that are some of the best eco-friendly options to choose from.
Which Split AC Is Best for Less Electricity Consumption?
If you plan to change your AC, you can choose to install from a variety of split AC models in your room. But, a common issue with all of them is how much electricity they consume, which can be rather scary.
But fear not!
We have selected a few of the finest split air conditioning units that have a certified 5-star rating and are designed to consume minimal energy.
- Whirlpool 1.5 Ton 5 Star, Inverter Split AC
- Godrej 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC
- Samsung 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC
- LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC
- Panasonic 1.5 Ton 5 Star Wi-Fi Twin-Cool Inverter Split AC
1. Whirlpool 1.5 Ton 5 Star, Inverter Split AC
One of the most notable features of this split AC is that it employs R32 Eco Refrigerant. It is incredibly efficient, produces fewer greenhouse gases, and uses less volume of refrigerant to run.
With this AC, users are able to go back to the cooling settings they had set prior to the power interruption. The feature that facilitates this functionality and allows for the automatic return of operations is called the Auto Restarting Operation.
2. Godrej 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC
This Split AC model was specially designed with Indian summers in mind.
Even in 52°C heat, their design guarantees that your home will remain cool.
To make the earth a better place with minimal ozone depletion effect, it uses one of the best refrigerants, like the R290.
The air conditioner’s filter effectively collects cigarette smoke, dust mites, and other typical contaminants while neutralizing microorganisms and foul odors that have been trapped.
3. Samsung 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC
This air conditioner will effectively cool a room on a limited budget. Its self-diagnosis feature displays error codes on the display area for simple troubleshooting, which is a major benefit.
With Samsung Inverter AC’s eco-function option on the remote, which enhances performance for energy-efficient operation, this option will unquestionably save your electricity costs.
4. LG 1.5 Ton 5 Star Inverter Split AC
This split air conditioner is an excellent choice for medium-sized homes and office spaces. It includes a Dual Inverter Compressor with a broad rotational frequency.
In addition to providing a higher speed cooling range than traditional compressors, this saves on energy consumption.
5. Panasonic 1.5 Ton 5 Star Wi-Fi Twin-Cool Inverter Split AC
The AC provides greater flexibility by letting people pre-set temperature profiles for comfort throughout the night. It has a PM 2.5 filter, which reduces the amount of PM 2.5 particles in the air to deliver dust-free, clean air. The AC is made to run stabilizer-free even in adverse circumstances.
We hope this blog clears all your doubts concerning how to save AC electricity bills. The mentioned tips are some of the best suggestions to keep your bills low; trust us!